Crowd2Map Tanzania is a crowdsourced initiative aimed at creating a comprehensive map of rural Tanzania, including detailed depictions of all of its villages, roads and public resources (such as schools, shops, offices etc.) in OpenStreetMap for everyone to use.
See the full instructions about how to Get Started here.
- Do OSM mapping online: we are currently mapping an area around Mugumu, where female genital mutilation (FGM) is prevalent. Find the task and start mapping on HOT task manager here (task #1788).
- Map your area: download Maps.me app, log in with your openstreetmap username and add points in your villages. More details and instructions are here.
- Participate in our mapathons! We have recently run a widely successful Triple Mapping Party, and are planning to organize more of these events! Check back to see what’s coming!
- Organize your own mapping event! We are always happy to help if you’d like to organize a mapping day in your own area. Just drop us a line, and we’ll help how we can to make it happen!
- Contribute to this blog or social media outreach: contact us via the form below!
- Become a supporter! Use the form below or email to get in touch & we’ll let you know about the sponsorship package we offer.
The project was originally set up in November 2015 by Janet Chapman (LinkedIn), Communications Manager at the Tanzania Development Trust (London) and Egle Marija Ramanauskaite (LinkedIn), writer, researcher and educator in the field of Citizen Science (Vilnius), upon meeting at the Mozilla Festival 2015 & exploring options to involve Tanzanian schools into Citizen Science.